Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Parent Fail

Being a single parent since last Thursday hasn't been so bad.  But having days in a row of being responsible for everything, I think that my brain stopped working when I was woken up last night at 11pm.  Knowing my child didn't have much to eat that day, I should have thought she could be hungry.  I'm almost positive she is teething but since I didn't give her Tylenol before she went down to bed, I should have thought she might be in pain due to teeth.  After a pretty long day of misery of teething or something, I should have at least thought these things to prevent the worst sleep night of my life.

She woke up screaming (as she did the night before) and  I had been asleep for *maybe* 30 minutes when this woke me up.  Since it wasn't subsiding, I went to go check on her.  She was sitting up in bed.  Normally I can pick her up, rock her for a few minutes and then put her down (as I did the night before).  Not this time.  So, since I was dead tired and she clinging for dear life to me and screaming bloody murder whenever I tried to put her down, I took her to my bed where I thought I was going to be asphyxiated because of the weight of her head on my neck- that was the only place she found acceptable to sleep at this point.  Needless to say, not much sleep was in the future for me.  She finally rolled over where I would have my breathing back to normal, but she kept kicking me in the stomach...which in turn made baby IN my stomach wiggle even more.  After a few hours of nodding in and out of sleep due to H constantly moving, kicking, and crying I hear this THUNK.  That's right, Haylie wormed her way so far over that she finally fell off the bed and hit the nightstand.  Oh man.  Drama, drama, drama.

Finally, my brain clicked on and we got up, got Tylenol, got milk and got into bed.  We still had a few hours of sleep and I was determined at this point to get just a little more.  She drained the milk & passed out.  Once she woke up fairly happy, I realized that we both could have had a pretty good nights sleep if I just would have thought of those things before putting her to bed.

Parent fail.

1 comment:

Darla said...

Welcome to the club!