Monday, March 22, 2010

Thoughts on Sleep

In the last few days, we have had some issues with sleep. First, Haylie has been waking up in the middle of the night. Blah. The other night I must have been in my deepest sleep cycle because when she woke me up, I pretty much hit every door jamb/wall going from my room to hers. Then she has this new trick of not wanting to go to sleep JUST at naptime - even though she is crying because she is SO sleepy. But at actual bed time, she goes down no problem. What's the difference?

It's amazing to me that Justin can fall asleep in about 30 seconds flat and it takes me about 30 minutes to wind down from a mid-night awakening and then another 20 to actually get to sleep. The other night Justin fell asleep on the floor. I don't know how that is even possible! It just seems that it doesn't matter when he gets woken up, he'll be asleep in the next 5 minutes. Meanwhile, I'm laying there and random thoughts are going through my head like, did we feed the cat at all today? Or...if I were to fall through the ceiling into someone's basement holding Haylie, how could I fall in such a way that she wouldn't get hurt? See? This is why I shouldn't be woken up in the middle of the night. Someone please tell my daughter this.

4 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

Yeah it makes you wonder why men weren't the ones to breastfeed if they can go back to sleep so easily...but I have a feeling they would all give up! :) I honestly can empathize with you this week because Olivia has been doing the same thing and 2 nights ago she was up at 4am and was wide awake and I was so mad and so tired so we watched a movie together until we both fell asleep. Good times. It was a documentary though so at least I feel she got educated!

Aubrie said...

You know what is odd is that night sleep and naps are a different part of the brain. That is why the patterns differ.
I bet she is just going through a spurt or something. Hang in there!

Kayla said...

I am the same way with falling asleep. Wes can fall asleep fast. I can go to bed an hour before him but he falls asleep first. I lay thinking about random stupid stuff as well. Sometimes I'll have to get online and search boring stuff until my eyes finally close. This may sound bad, but reading the bible can help me fall asleep too!

Unknown said...

Lily has gone through phases where it's hard to get her to settle down for a nap too, but somehow at night she zonks right out. I don't get it either. But keep working at it and this phase will pass.

And Jim is the same way where he can fall asleep easily and sleep through anything and I'll just be laying there for hours not sleeping. That is where bottles come in handy :)