Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm alive to tell the story

Several years ago, I was in Taekwondo. In our classes, we learned self-defense and part of that was how to properly use knives/swords. Instead of using real ones (obviously), we used a wooden 1” thick round stick. I kept that stick for a long time. Even after Justin and I got married, I found my stick and put it under our bed to feel safe if he was travelling. Justin kept making fun of me for having a stick - he thought it was silly. I thought I would be able to use that instead of pulling out my non-existent gun in case of emergency. Yes, excellent idea.

A few months ago, I gave that stick to my co-worker who needed extra security. I felt ok with that and plus – we had “Watch Kitty Caramel.” Who needed the stick?

Thursday night, we did.

5:26 am. I wake up from a dead sleep to an unnerving sound. Wap, pop, bang! It happened a few more times and the only explanation that I could logically come up with was we were the starting scene on CSI. I tapped Justin and he bolted up. We heard it one more time. This time, I was thinking clearer and thought – it’s either - a robber jumping on bubble wrap, our ice machine in the refrigerator is going crazy or someone is making popcorn. Well, since our ice maker doesn’t work and I didn’t smell popcorn with my super sonic nose, that just left a robber with bubble wrap that I guess he brought to steal our (in)expensive stuff.

Brave Justin gets up and whispers – “Where’s your stick??” At this point I am so freaked out that I can’t even laugh and say - told you so. (But I thought it.) Since we didn’t have any other form of self defense, he takes his ever trusty Blackberry with the thought of just throwing it at the robber in hopes that it would save our lives. Off he goes down the hall way.

After about 5 minutes (or 30 seconds) of me totally just sitting in bed, not helping OR breathing, the light goes on in the hallway.

I pop out of bed and go down the hall. I hear “CARAMEL!” In the kitchen I see the fur face, purring ever so loudly, enjoying the extra company she now has at 5:30 am.

Well, it happened again last night. When Justin went to again investigate, he saw Caramel as big as a blow up fish, hair in all directions, in the window watching another kitty outside. Ahh yes, Watch Kitty Caramel has arrived.

To avoid future heart attacks, if you drive by our house now, you just might see all of our blinds all the way up. Stupid cat.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

HAHA! That was a good laugh! Thanks for sharing!

Chellie said...

This story cracks me up!!! I love it! HAHAHA