Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Step By Step

The other day, I just up and decided it was time for Haylie to give up her paci.  Okay, maybe not give it up, but decrease the amount of time she has it in her mouth.  She really has started "talking" a lot more and would talk through her paci.  That makes it even harder when trying to learn words when there is a plastic bulb in your mouth.  I felt like she just put it in her mouth because it was there.  We gave it to her because it was there.  So, now, it's not going to be there anymore.  We decided to just give it to her at nap/bed time.  Although, I was talking to my sister the other day and she said it might have been better to go cold-turkey with her son instead of decreasing just to sleeping moments.  I'm wondering if we should do cold turkey too.  If you are a parent who has had to help your kid go through phasing-out-the-paci, insert advice now. 
Without the paci 24/7, I don't have to worry about other kids taking it and sucking on it.  She smiles more, she talks more, she drools a WHOLE lot more...
 But let's just say what needs to be said.  She is a heck of a lot cuter without it!!

6 comments:

Kimmy said...

She's CUTE no matter what! :)

WOW - Can't believe how well she colors! She stays within the lines :) :) :)

Krystle OBryan said...

we have just gone cold turkey. WE tried just doing nap/bed time and he would always end up sneaking it out of bed then end of having it all day. We are doing really good. However today he found one that he had hide and was trying to hide from me while he got his paci fix. I found him and quickly took it away and he had a major melt down but quickly recovered.
Good Luck!

Rachel said...

I'm obviously not a parent but my niece was only given hers at night or whenever they wanted her to sleep. She "figured" it out and threw out the car window. She never got it again and that was that. :) Good luck with it all - I will learn from you ;)

Lemonade said...

With Ava I took it away when she was 154 months, cold turkey. She was mostly just using it to sleep anyway. She was mad at me at bedtime and when she'd wake up for it at 9pm for 3 nights. I just tried to rock her instead. Three nights, then it was done. Now with Grant on the other hand...I'm a softy. It makes him so happy. I think I missed my window and waited too long. Plus he doesn't have another security object yet. I am trying to get him attached to a blankie or animal so that I can take away his binky and he doesn't feel so abandoned. I know that may sound silly, but I've read it's healthy for them to have a security object - preferably not the binky. So, I don't have the heart yet. So I dcided to wait a little longer. Kinda depends on the kid.
~andrea m.

Gavan said...

With Jaylen, we slimmed her down to only nap & nighttime & it worked good. At first, she didn't like it but we stuck to it & she transitioned well. Once we decided to get rid of it, we did that cold turkey using the Paci Fairy idea.

Rosson pretty much only has his at nap & nighttime. He just doesn't want it as much as Jay did.

Gavan said...

Obviously that was from me, not Gavan!

-Melody