Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lucky #30

I think Mercy Hospital dropped the ball for us and didn't submit anything for Haylie to get her SSN. Well, in prime tax season, a SSN for our baby is a good thing to have! So, to get a SSN, you have to go get a copy of the birth certificate. The options are to go in to the office or mail in for a copy. Well........my advice as of yesterday - MAIL IN (but allow 4-6 weeks)!! Going down to the state dept of health's office was just terrible. First, everyone/thing that I was near seemed to smell like weed. Second, everyone was in their pajamas and house shoes. Why is it that no one dresses normally anymore? Granted, I would love to wear my sweats all the time (and do some days!), but I wouldn't go to a public office dressed like that. And I would at least put on shoes.

So, Haylie and I were planning on going down to the office in between her feedings. I didn't bring in the diaper bag because I thought we wouldn't need anything (HUGE mistake). Well, about 5 minutes after I got there, Haylie spit up thick, white spit up all over my shoulder. Luckily I had a few tissues in my purse to wipe that nastiness off. I had to hold her the rest of the time and finally she fell asleep. Meanwhile, I am scoping out places in the back corner where I could still hear for my number to be called in case she woke up and needed to eat...because we were pushing the time!! I didn't have my diaper bag so that was going to be an interesting experience if that happened. So, the whole time she was sleeping, I was sweating bullets because I didn't want to nurse her in the nasty, not so private and definitely not sanitary state dept of health's office with only my fleece as an attempt to cover.

Finally after an hour and a half of waiting/sweating/constantly rocking my baby in attempt to keep her asleep, our lucky number 30 was called. Whew. We made it. And will never do that again!!

4 comments:

Kayla said...

That is so the place I'd be wearing my houseshoes and sweats! haha Pretty much all I wear these days! I look clean though!!

Gabrielle Aapri said...

Wow, you are a braver woman than I!!:D It took me longer to venture out with Noah..so stressful!

Candice said...

Been there before with the nasty sweat hoping your child doesn't wake up! We had to do it when we moved so many times it was awful and then the nursing in public thing...I feel for ya! Hope you don't have to do it again!

carly said...

Well at least the spit-up helped you fit in with your new friends. ;)