Sunday, May 3, 2009

Personal Bubbles

I am big on having a personal bubble...

1) If you are my close friend, you are okay and do not have to worry about personal bubble space

2) If you are a regular friend, a little distance is okay, but you are probably okay in not invading my space

3) If you are a random co-worker, stranger or person I do not like very much, please do not stand so close to me

It seems that lately I have been noticing that some people tend to be "close talkers" or "personal bubble invaders." I have a problem with this.

While I am at work, I've had more than one occasion where I have felt really uncomfortable with the distance that is not between me and person(s) X. Do you really have to come and stand right next to my chair and ask me if I have time to help with your task today? No. You can safely ask me this while passing in the hallway. Do you not get the hint when I roll my chair back, stand up, or lean away from you? Why not?!

When I was growing up, I had a HUGE personal bubble area. I did not care for people to come close to me and I often told them they were invading my space. I even slapped a doctor when I was younger because I thought he was getting too close. I guess I realized I needed manners because I can not seem to do that anymore!

Odds are, if you are reading this blog, I am not talking about you. :) But are there any good tricks I can pull to let people know to back up? Maybe I invade your personal space and do not know. If so, you should tell me. :)

2 comments:

Lani Marie said...

spit when you talk- they won't get close.

Rachel said...

Soooo....CONGRATULATIONS!! I've gotten really behind on blog stalking...so you can imagine my surprise when I notice a BABY floating in the upper corner of your blog!!!!