Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Playroom Overhaul

For the last few weeks, I have been taking a Love & Logic class at our church.  I have really enjoyed it and learned lots of new techniques that I can hopefully implement into my parenting. Our last meeting was today and we touched on how kids have so much stuff, that they don't really need it all and most of them are dead - end where it doesn't help expand their creativity.

About a week ago, I wanted to organize our playroom but was so overwhelmed with the amount of stuff in there that I just had to stop.  I can't even imagine how my kids feel when they try to play in there.  So today, after the class, I had new motivation.

So this afternoon, I dumped out all of our toys and went through each one with Haylie.  The end result?

A basket full of toys that are going away. 

 Some of these are just being pulled out for awhile and we'll rotate with others we left in.  Some have been loved on and ready to move on to a new home.  Some I bought thinking they were a good purchase only to find out that they weren't.

Either way, all of our toys now have a place.  Jace has the bottom two shelves where he can explore with his toys and Haylie's are higher up so he doesn't get into her stuff all the time.


You can actually look in to the playroom and see floor space.

I feel so much better just knowing my space is organized.  I don't have a panic attack looking at everything and getting rid of toys that were just taking up space gives me a sense of relief.  I know that starting tomorrow everything will probably be back out all over the place, but I'm okay with that.  Because I don't have to go through loads of crap to put back what they really play with.

Next up on my overhaul list, the kitchen.

4 comments:

Chellie said...

Looks Great!!
The kitchen is on my overhaul list too!
I really need to do this. Brixton has so many toys that I feel the same way, overwhelmed at the thought! Maybe some day... hopefully sooner rather than later.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

That's great! I was an Early Childhood/Elem. Ed. major so that part about toys that encourage creativity was preached to me! No toys with batteries that they just sit and look at! Anyway, good job.

I have the same problem but it's like every room in the house!!! I keep thinking when my baby graduates high school (2014) that the next year will be my big clean out year and I can give my kids alot of the excess... we'll see how that works out!

Hucks Randomness said...

Looks awesome! I need to do this to my TV room (in the basement) - I wont even watch TV down there b/c I'm so grossed out by the amount of JUNK I store down there.....Maybe it's a project for a Saturday night :)

Emily said...

Looks good, want to come clean out our toys now? :)