Thursday, March 15, 2012

Designers Challenge

My friend Chellie does this sometimes on her blog and I'm hoping I get as much feedback as she does!  We are trying to decide on flooring.  Well, the type of flooring is decided - hardwood.  The part we don't know is - should we keep an area of the living room with carpet or hardwood the rest (minus beds and baths)?  

Justin ultimately would love to keep a carpeted area in the living space because of wrestling and playing with kids.  I have no issue with this - my issue is with the layout of our living/dining room.  It's one big space and no good cut off place.

We want to hardwood the office/playroom and dining area, but in between those is the living room.  See pics and ignore the mess.  This is just my life these days.




See?  One continual room.  If you were us, what would you do?  Keep carpet and cut it off?  If so, WHERE??  Or just hardwood the whole place and get a huge carpet for the living space to make it more home-y?
These are some new samples I got today.  I took back the one we really like because we expired on our time-limit.  Should have taken a pic to remember it by...because these aren't looking so hot.  And neither are our cabinets. Yikes...

Ready, set, design. Please!

6 comments:

Brei said...

I'm with you about not wanting to chop up the space, and i would probably vote for hardwood throughout and get a big area rug for the living room..... however, that means more expense, cuz big area rugs aint cheap! So if you did decide to carpet the living room, it would probably be cut off right at that little angled wall? Is that right?

Ryan and Katie said...

I vote hard wood throughout and get area rugs. Carpet remnants are pretty cheap and can be huge you just have to keep looking at lowes and such. Garden ridge has good prices for rugs too.

Chellie said...

I would also vote hardwood. It is just so much cleaner. Of you only knew what was in that carpet. You could leave carpet in that office/man cave arwa and they could roll around in there.
If you do wood in just the dining I would cut it off at the angled wall or just before the back door.

Katie B said...

I would actually vote for carpet. I would hardwood a border (12 inches?) around the living room to make it seem cohesive with the other two rooms.

Maria said...

I was going to say exactly what Katie B said! I would only put a border of hardwood around the living room, but leave some inlaid carpet. Mainly because I would think that'd be much cheaper than buying a huge area rug. Can't wait to see what you guys decide!

Tarren and Erin said...

I vote for hardwood everywhere with an area rug in the living room. I like Katie's idea of a carpet remnant as a rug. Much cheaper than a traditional area rug and you can get it is whatever size you want. I lie the darker wood colors in your picture, the one on the right and the one in the center.