Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Man on the Side of the Road

During bible classes and studies, usually at some point the topic of homeless people on the side of the street comes up.  Do you give them money not knowing where it's going to go?  Do you just pass them by and pretend they aren't asking for help? Do you offer to take them to McDonalds or buy their dog food?

Well a few weeks ago, our small group talked about the excuses we make when we see these (or others) asking for help.  My excuses are usually that I don't have automatic windows and can't reach over to open my window (because they are standing on the right side of the car instead of left), I have my daughter with me and I don't want them to do anything to her, I don't have very much cash left and need to buy milk, I don't trust them, I don't have time...my list could go on and on.

So today, while running a few thousand errands while H was in school, I made a wrong turn and ended up at a light where a man was standing there, holding a sign, asking for money.  Here I am, annoyed that I am once again faced with this situation, keep my eyes averted.  But as I sit there for a few more seconds with my Christian music playing, my stomach full from the lunch I just purchased while out, and my other excuses obliterated (my side of the car, without Haylie to worry about), I felt I had no reasons not to give to this man. So I pulled out a few dollars and gave it to him.

His expression was amazing.  He was so grateful.  Whether he is going to buy booze or food for the first time in a few days, it doesn't matter.  It's not my decision what he does with it and hopefully God will put it on his heart to use that money for good instead of something destructive.

Now, I'm definitely not saying I'm a saint for this act...because I still struggle with the knowledge of how much money people can make on the side of the road or what they might possibly do with it.  Instead, I chose today to trust this man to make a good decision...and hopefully God can touch his heart and help him out in his journey.

2 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

Being in the part of town I live in, I can pass by quite a few of these people daily. There are even regulars that stay at gas stations that we've helped out numerous times. I started carrying those Nature Valley granola bars and keeping them in my car. They can't melt in the heat and if they freeze they'll thaw. It's cheap and I feel better about giving them food than money, not that I haven't given money before but I feel better giving food. Plus I rarely carry cash. The only time someone wasn't grateful was when a lady said she had no teeth to chew it, but I had no cash on me so oh well, I tried.

Darla said...

You are called to give, not to judge what they do with it. We had a group make up some cards with contact info for a place that helps homeless people and they included that with a bottle of water and a non-perishable snack and put that in a paper bag to keep in your car. Great idea, but I haven't done it yet.