Monday, January 9, 2012

Becoming a Sibling

These last few days I have been hit hard with the fact that H will soon not be an only child.  I don't know why this is coming as a shock because we were planning on getting pregnant and then have had 8ish months to digest this news.

I think it's because it's coming up so SOON.  We now have about 3 weeks (give or take) until this little man comes into our family.  I just want to soak up every moment I have with H because I know that time is soon going to become a hectic, "go find Daddy/Mimi/Grandma/Ava/Elmo" time so I can handle the baby.  I want to enjoy her and remember life with her before becoming a mom of two.

Justin had a work party Saturday night and we had a babysitter lined up - I couldn't do it.  I just wanted to stay with my little girl.  When she asks for things, instead of being the strict parent, I'm finding I'm sliding a little bit. Sure, here is chocolate before breakfast.  Yes, you can stay up late and take a bath.  Let's go to a friends house and play until 9 pm.  Just because it makes you happy.

This might be destructive in all that we have tried to put in place these last several months but...I can't help it.  I love my baby girl and hope that she will always be my baby.  Who cares if that costs me extra kisses and later nights?  I'm going to enjoy her as much as I can.

5 comments:

Gena said...

Amen. These will be some of your most precious memories. Get ready to bawl like a baby in about 2 1/2 weeks. Then it will hit you hard!

Michelle said...

I was real emotional before I had Maddie, just thinking how everything was going to work, how Cooper wouldn't be my only baby....but I also remind myself all the time the whole
reason I have more kids is for my kids. So it strangely all works out in the end.

Candice said...

Aw, as a mother of one who desperately wants two I guess this gives me a new angle to look at Cole's only-childness. At least he is getting all of me for his little years, as badly as I want a sibling for him!!! Praying for a safe and healthy labor and delivery and for as easy an adjustment period as possible!

Kathryn said...

I was the same way... Absolutely distraught that our family of 3 was changing, and I felt such guilt that C was no longer going to be the shining star. BUT. Coralie is so. much. happier. with a sibling, and I STILL get lots of special time with only her. You will too, I promise! You are a great mama to one, and you will be a great mama to two!!!

Justin Cornell said...

I completely understand where you are coming from! I worry how our life is going to change. H is one of a kind. I will always cherish the times we have had as a family of 3. It's hard to imagine that I could ever love another child as much as I love her. I am sure that will all change when we Jace comes.