Tuesday, February 15, 2011

OH Valentine's Day

I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's Day.  I think it's a day that Hallmark created just to earn more revenue and to put added pressure on people.  Then those people have high expectations and then get mad when they aren't met.  That's why me and the hubby don't really celebrate.  We do get each other a card and maybe go to dinner and possibly a movie.  And that's pretty much what we did.  Starting out with the cards - mine to him said, "You had me at baby-sitter."  Funny, right?  Well, he read, "You had me at baby-SISTER."  Thus thinking I was trying to tell him something.  Not so funny.  Anyway, once that was cleared up, off we went to Fuji Sushi with the kid to celebrate as a family.  Let me just pause - it's NEVER a good idea to take an impatient, loud volumed child to a quiet, fancy restaurant on a night where it's supposed to be all love and magical.  Because the atmosphere around our table was not love and magical, it was stressful.  We ordered 4 sushi rolls and 1 HOUR later and thousands of yogurt melts and lots of other food that didn't work, we finally got our food, scarfed it down and left.  At one point I gave Haylie one of my chopsticks to play with and Justin said later that an older woman next to us was telling her husband to say something because that was so dangerous.  Well, maybe it was but it kept her happy.  For 2.5 minutes.  So off we ran to my sister's because they were gracious enough to watch Haylie so Justin and I could go see a movie.  We went to see Just Go with It and let me just say, I have not laughed that hard in a long time.  Like, out loud, stomach hurting, about to pee my pants laughing.  Great movie.

So lesson learned.  Leave the kid at home with a babysitter unless you want to dine at McDonald's Playhouse. And I'm pretty sure they don't serve sushi.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Both of our girls are usually pretty good at restaurants, but you can certainly count on them to ruin a nice dinner when you're not expecting it. And slow service is the bane of my existence. Oh, and I think chopsticks are a perfectly good play toy.

Ryan and Katie said...

haha! I love that he thought you were trying to tell him you were pregnant haha! Yogurt melts are definitely our go-to-PLEASE-be-good bribery for Liv!

April said...

I heard on KLove that there are a few McDonald's in Ohio that do a special Valentines evening by candle light and reservation only. You should check that out!

So glad you gave the movie a good review. I can't wait to see it.

Gena said...

Or you just get your to-go sushi from Fuji like I did! It was the bet move I could have ever made. Ate my Philadelphia roll by psuedo-candlelight while my daughter did her homework. Next year!

Lisa said...

ha ha! You are so funny Erin! :o) We saw Just Go With It too and yes, it was very funny!! LOL

Kayla said...

Haha. Beats our day...We both worked late!!

Team Andrews said...

Hilarious! No ones happy when the baby ain't happy!