Monday, September 20, 2010

Musings of Motherhood

I didn't get to hear all of Mark's sermon yesterday on media and kids, but I was starting to think to myself that H is surrounded by TV pretty much all day. She doesn't sit on the floor and watch it for hours at a time, but it's on in the background mostly for my entertainment. Sometimes we do sit her on the floor and let her watch Baby Einstein, but I try to reserve that for desperate times only. I am going to try this week to engage more with her when she isn't napping and reserve the TV for times when there is nothing else to do (ha) or I just need a small little break. We'll see how far into the week I get. Maybe I'll start a no TV trend. I just don't want her to be relient on TV for entertainment when she has lots of toys and fun things to go explore.

Am I the only one who feels guilty about this parenting thing? There is always something to be doing better - less TV time, more time playing, more time praying, better eating habits...I could go on forever. But in the end, I guess we just have to give up and say, "I'm doing the best that I know how." Because it's true. I have felt guilty for awhile now about not bringing in any income, but I'm working past that because I'm doing the best that I can for my baby. Yes, things can be tight when it comes to the bottom line of budgeting, but that's why they have the Great Value brand, consignment stores with nice clothes and sisters who can help you make anything you want the cheapest way possible.

6 comments:

carly said...

I try to leave the t.v. off as much as possible. (Also, another easy small way to save a little on the electricity bill, right?!) Even 'educational' programming is not as good as kids exploring and learning for themselves as you said. The kids usually only get to watch something after they've earned it, ex. cleaned up, or as you said, I am desperate or exhausted. If you want the noise, I'd pop in a c.d. Usually I want less noise myself with all the toys going off and clanking, etc.
I know what you are saying about the income thing, but you are right. You are doing the BEST thing you can for your family by staying home with your little girl. That cannot be priced. Hats off to you!

Katie B said...

You are a GREAT mom. TV won't hurt your precious daughter, especially if you are aware of its presence. (My weakness is the laptop! It is always out if I am bored.)

Also, think of the money you bring in by saving on child care, professional clothes, and eating out! I am sure Justin can come up with some way to monetize your contribution if it makes you feel better. Or I can do it and mail it to him. :)

No guilt, friend!

Summer said...

Girl, the guilt will rob you of the joys of motherhood. I have to tell myself what my mom told me when Mia was bon,"You can have a clean house or happy kids. You choose."

I have learned that this season will be full of crap (literally) and my kids may accidentally eat the wrong thing sometimes and I may plop them down with a video sometimes but they are better off than 99.9% of the children in the world b/c their parents love the Lord and are trying to get them to heaven and live in Edmond, OK. That combo alone is enough to make me breathe a sigh of relief...and go get some chocolate.

Unknown said...

Ah, guilt is a mom's bread and butter. These days you have to have zero tv, feed organic foods, have a million play dates, and a sterilized house to keep up with the Joneses. I say don't bother. Do the absolute best you can, pray for God to open your heart to your child's needs, and you'll be fine. A little tv never hurt anyone. Even a LOT of tv every now and then doesn't hurt. :)

Tarren and Erin said...

Erin, you are an amazing mom. I wonder about these things too but the fact that you are thinking about it means you are better than some other mothers. Just keep doing what you think is best. After all only you and Justin know what is best for Haylie. What my midwife told me is: God didn't give her to someone else, he gave her to you because he knew you would care for her just the way she needed. Even if you don't have all the answers if you remember to give her to God she will turn out just fine!

I liked the part where you said "that is why we have Great Value brand". Amen to that!

Ryan and Katie said...

Being a mom is all about the guilt right?? If you figure out a way around it let me know! You are a great mom!