Wednesday, November 4, 2009

We have old, ugly windows. I think they are the original ones that were put in with the house - 30 years ago or so. Windows USA sent out a flyer that offered $100 gift card to Wal-mart if we let them come do a demonstration in our home. Sure! No problem. Until...

The demonstrator's time to come was at 8 pm. Sure, that's okay. What the problem turned into is that he did not LEAVE our house until 11:15 pm. At night. On a Tuesday. Are you KIDDING ME? I'm pregnant and tired. Get out of my house.

During the demonstration, we had to watch two DVD's of some guy explaining why their windows are fantastic. I did not sign up for DVD's. Nor did I sign up for our demonstrator laughing at everything he said. I can't even understand your joke before you start laughing and you want me to laugh with you?

Apparently, the only way this company can converse is through making cell phone calls back to the "home office." We had to make at least 5 during the 3 hours he was there. Why am I talking on someone's cell phone to get quotes about windows? Not just once, but several times over the course of the night. Get to the bottom line and stop jerking me around.

Finally, we got around to how much all this would cost. I'm sad to say that their quote was $15,000!!!! For 11 windows. Are you serious. By the time 11 pm rolled around, their quote was down to $6000. As a Dave Ramsey believer, that's not good enough for our budget. Why couldn't we have started at that price at 8 pm and he would have left by 9? That would have made me less grumpy.

Needless to say, we are now $100 richer at Wal-mart, but I'm not sure I would ever do that again for free $$. That was pure torture.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

We went with Champion in our old house our energy bills went WAY down. My inlaws went with USA and the whole jerk around call thing...sorry you had to suffer through that!

Matt and Shannon said...

man that happened to me when i was in college only they were trying to sell a super awesome kirby vaccuum and she barged in and stayed for hours and then later her "supervisor" came after a secret cell phone call to offer prices starting at like $3000 dollars and everytime i said no they went down but finally i said unless it is like 100 dollars im not buying it. but all i got out of it was some stupid knives. i wish i got walmart money. but either way totally not worth it!!!

Kayla said...

We sadly went through that same torture 5 times (Sears, Lowe's, Champion, Pella, and Traco!) Traco was the lowest for high quality stats we wanted. Wes of course made an excel spreadsheet of it all! Good luck if you ever replace them! I will say it's easier to say "we already have a quote for $6,000..." We actually did that with Champion and they said well sorry I can't get down that low and left pretty quickly! Pella would have been cheapest but couldn't make one of our small weird shaped windows.

Oh the funnest is having the water purifying people come out! Talk about super torture and all I got was a lousy pappa johns pizza!

Chris and Andrea Moyer said...

Yikes! Maybe try getting windows somewhere where people aren't working off commission! I was thinking about you guys and wanted to find out if you'd be interested in getting together for dinner or something...it's been a long time! But then I remembered that you are almost due and that is such a busy time. So, maybe we could bring you guys a meal or something after the baby arrives? Please let me know - take care!
~ andrea moyer