Thursday, December 4, 2008

You Have What?!

That's the question I have been getting a lot lately :) I recently found out that there is a reason for being tired all the time, among other things! I have officially been diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. According to a website, the definition is:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is a type of autoimmune thyroid disease in which the immune system attacks and destroys the thyroid gland. The thyroid helps set the rate of metabolism, which is the rate at which the body uses energy. Hashimoto’s stops the gland from making enough thyroid hormones for the body to work the way it should. It is the most common thyroid disease in the U.S.

So, I get to take a small little pill every day for the rest of my life to help regulate my thyroid. If I don't, it will lead to hypothyroidism and if it gets really bad, it will lead to hyperthyroidism...which both cause pretty bad things. I guess if I had to have a "disease", then I'm glad it's called Hashimoto.

Happy Birthday to my sister, Emily!! She is 28 today!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I was diagnosed with that about 1.5 months ago. We should chat sometime!