Thursday, March 14, 2013

Running

I've always wanted to be a runner...but never had the discipline to actually work on it the right way.  I would just decide one day to start running and I would go out and run as long as I could (like, .13 of a mile) and then quit thinking I did a great thing.  Plus, I'm pretty sure I looked like Phoebe Buffay instead of the graceful Rachel when running.

So when I found out the there was an app called Couch to 5K, I was interested.  Come to find out, you need to actually work on your stamina so the app would have you run and walk for different intervals until you worked up to longer lengths.  

Tonight, I had the opportunity to sit on the couch and do nothing...maybe eat a brownie or two.  But instead, all I could think about was to go running.  Maybe it was the fact that we are signed up for a 5K in less than a month...but I'm pretty sure I just wanted to just because.

I have to admit, I ran for 10 minutes, walked for 5, then ran for another 10.  It was the longest I've run straight on my highest speed so far. It might have been torture...but the accomplishment after was a good feeling.

So maybe I'll become a runner after all.  I don't see any marathons (or even half-marathons) in my future anytime soon...just maybe a good way to spend my evening off the couch.

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Good for you! I never considered myself a runner and still don't, even tho I've run 2 half-marathons and a few relays! I walk year round, except in the spring when I'm training to do something in the OKC marathon (trying to keep up with the fam). I'm so slow but it is a great feeling to finish a race! And I have learned after a while you get numb and you learn how to pace yourself and just run in the zone!

Chellie said...

I wish blogs had a "like" button sometimes. Great job. I always wished I could be a runner, but I have lots of excuses... like it hurts my feet. Maybe I'll use you as motivation!