Thursday, August 23, 2012

It's Progress, Right?

We are into day 2 for potty training.  Yesterday, we had a good but hectic day.  I was cleaning up pee or poop the whole morning and I was getting frustrated.  After her nap (in a diaper), I need to go to Wal-mart.  I didn't want to embarrass her (or maybe I just wanted it to be a stress free trip) so we went in a diaper...and she was in one until this morning.  So, I'm just letting myself feel like we are slowly easing our way into this thing.  It's probably not the right thing to do...but what is?

She did go pee in the potty yesterday...which is a BIG DEAL for her!!  She got a pizza lunch reward for being a big girl and going in the potty.

But today...lots of peeing in our panties and refusing to sit on the potty.  In my mind, I'm thinking maybe she just isn't ready.  I'm going to give it a few more days since what I'm reading says she is.  And Google is always right.

But today she has wanted to wipe herself and put it in the potty after peeing her panties.  She is excited to get new underwear after peeing instead of going back to a diaper.  Progress.

I also whipped up this sticker chart one night and even though we are using Christmas stickers, she is making progress and is excited to put one up!  After she has 10 successes, she will get a small prize.  Then 10 more, her prize will get a little bigger.  Her "successes" right now are actually sitting on the potty, wiping after her accident, etc.  Once she can do that, we'll reward for actually peeing or pooping.

I would love for this to be an easy process and right now it's not.  I just wonder if its not because 1) she has been using a diaper for almost 3 years now and that's all she knows 2) she doesn't seem to care much for change or 3) she really isn't ready yet.


3 comments:

Brei said...

This isn't advice, it's just what happened in our house. I went crazy trying to train Jagger for a week or so, and it didn't work, he wasn't ready. And I was so stressed. I gave up cold turkey for a month or so, used only verbal reminders, never really forced anything, and then bam, he trained himself in like 2 days.

Chellie said...

I'm sure she'll get it. If you want to read the three day thing I have let me know, even if you don't do that method I felt like it had some good general advice. Good luck!

Michelle said...

I'd just wait til she told you she was ready, after my continuing nightmere with my 4 year old son, potty train is the last thing I want to do to.....says a frustrated mom....lol