Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Little Help?

Haylie's nap time.  Oh boy.  This kid could probably go forever and never stop to sleep.  I guess she thinks there are wild and crazy parties happening while she is slumbering.  But in reality?  I'm either laying down to gear up for round 2 of the day or trying to get things done that are boring to her anyway!!

So, I guess what I'm asking for is some advice from other moms.  Haylie is 2.5 years old.  She doesn't ever want to nap, but if I go in there and lay down near her and maybe rub her back for 10 minutes, she passes out and will sleep for 2+ hours.  If I don't do that?  She'll play in her room for an hour and then start banging on the door (which she can easily open) to come out.

If she didn't end up with such a bad attitude later in the day, I wouldn't feel compelled to make her sleep.  And if she didn't fall asleep SO easily if she is just calm for 5 minutes, I wouldn't even suggest laying down.

Lord help us all if Jace is still awake during this time...she keeps popping her head up saying, "He's awake!" or "He's crying!" just in case I didn't hear.

So, all that to say...

Should I give up making her sleep?  Should I give in after an hour of her playing in her room?  What has worked best for you and your kids?


3 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

Have you tried those night lights that turn colors when it's ok for them to get out of bed? I keep meaning to buy one for us. Liv is about a 50% of the time napper and it drives me nuts too, but our rule is she has to keep her head on the pillow until I come get her. Sometimes I let her have one book in bed but she is supposed to be laying down. If she isn't asleep after 45 min or an hour then I let her play in her room for another hour but she has to stay in her room. It usually works on the no nap days but some days are harder than others! The first few times we tried this it was a lot of putting her back in bed or her room and reminding her but eventually it clicked.

Aubrey said...

Mariah is a year older, but still needs a nap or she's cranky. But, of course, she doesn't want a nap:) We have been telling her that she can choose to sleep or play, but she has to stay in her room quietly until we come and get her. Until recently, we gated her bedroom door. So, she could have her door open, lights on, as long as she was quiet. After an hour of play she almost always falls asleep in her bed. I will say, similar to potty training, we rewarded with an M&M or Hershey Kiss for staying in her room quietly the whole time. We are reintroducing candy, now that she is gate-less the past week. Getting her to stay in her room quietly is working with the small reward that will get phased out.

Maria said...

This is still a struggle at Ella's age. On days that she's not at SSS, she has a minimum of 1 hour of quiet time... which is her playing quietly in her room with the door closed. It ranges anywhere from falling asleep on her own to other times she plays and plays and plays and doesn't understand that she is supposed to stay in her room. (Grr!) The days that she does fall asleep, she has a harder time with bedtime and when she doesn't nap, bedtime isn't a big struggle. It's hard though because there are days when I know that she's exhausted. But, that's when we choose to do an earlier bedtime. :) Good luck!