Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Worm

"The Worm" is my new nickname that the Hubby has given me.  Endearing, I know. 

It all started with "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers recommended by my friend Amy.  This book is AMAZING and left me in tears several times.  It's the fiction version of the biblical book of Hosea, where a man marries a prosititute (led by God) and the trials of that relationship.  This book will definitely give you a new outlook on love for your spouse and love for God. 

Next was "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin.  This is the same book that is based on the movie.  Haven't seen the movie, but I was disappointed by the book.  It was a lot of sex, scandal and back-stabbing.  You do want love to prevail at the end, but I think it's a horrible way to get there.  After I finish with my current trilogy, I will be reading "Something Blue" which is the sequal.  I'm willing to give it a shot.  Hopefully to redeem the first one.

But right now, I'm completely obsessed with "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.  I read the first of the trilogy in a couple of days.  It is intense, it is gory, but it is good.  You are rooting for Katniss, the main character and are just hoping her strength prevails.  It's a book in the future, with the current state of North America completely obliterated and all that remains is the Capitol and 12 districts surrounding it.  There was a 13th, but that district had an uprising and was taken out by the Capitol. To ensure the people of Panem don't forget who is in charge, they hold the Hunger Games in which 1 boy and 1 girl from each district are taken to an arena to fight to the death.  Currently I'm in the middle of the middle book and I have the last one to get to.  P.S. It is much better than Twilight.  You heard me.

In between a few of those, I read "Ever After" which is based exactly on the movie.  It was a good, simple read that I picked up at a garage sale.  I wouldn't immediately rent it from your local library, but if you are ever needing something to read and it comes your way, I'd give it a chance.

I'm off to worm it up.  I've got to finish that trilogy!!

3 comments:

Chellie said...

I also loved Redeeming Love.. Funny the other day when you were talking about reading I almost recommended that book to you. I read it several years ago, but I think it's one of my favorites ever.. such a good read.

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Okay, definitely give Something Blue a shot. A little redemption comes along. I have Baby Proof and ANother one of hers. The verdict is still out on those. I would love to get ahold of Redeeming love if you have it to lend!

Unknown said...

Redeeming Love was rather good. LOVED the Hunger Games series. I even got Jim to read them! I've heard from another friend that Something Borrowed was not great. In fact, I think it was the first book she ever stopped reading.