Saturday, November 13, 2010

We're Having What for Dinner?

I used to not give much effort when it came to cooking. After I moved out of my parents house and didn't have the good ol' OC cafeteria to keep me from starving, it was hard to cook for just me because it was just me (and maybe a roommate or two!) I think the closest I came was popping pizzas in the oven or opening a box - mac n cheese, hamburger helper, all that healthy stuff.

Since I've started staying home, I tend to take more effort into cooking and...I kind of like it! It's amazing how much people spend eating out when the food at home is usually healthier and better. It's just not as convenient, I know.
I know cooking can be such a pain - planning it out, going to the store, preparing it, clean up...but it's also fun to come up with new things to try. What is usually on your dinner table?

I used to scour through my recipe books that I was given but that just takes a lot of time and honestly - a lot of them just aren't good. I have found that this website and this website have lots of ideas that are quick & simple. (And cooking for 2!) It also helps that I found these fun magnets at Wal-mart (I've wanted these ever since I saw Katie's board) and it makes me feel more festive & organized when planning.

If you want some good, easy recipes, leave me a comment with your email (if I don't already have it) and I can send some to you. We've tried a number of good ones over the last few months.

4 comments:

jlair said...

I always have trouble coming up with new ideas for dinner. I recently signed up for daily recipe emails from allrecipes.com and we've found a couple of keepers. I'll definitely have to check out the websites you posted. And, please email your favs!! I'm hoping to compile all my favorites during maturnity leave. :)

Miss you! But I'm SO thankful for the internet! We finally have it at home now!

Unknown said...

I have to say, this is the number one thing I'm looking forward to! I love cooking, and coming home at 7pm doesn't leave much inspiration.

I use Allrecipes.com a lot too. My all-time favorite cookbook is America's Test Kitchen. It takes the experimenting out of cooking, and I have yet to make something out of that book that I've messed up.

Kayla said...

I should probably check out this website...but I'm a little scared.

Crislyn said...

I would love some of your quick & easy recipes! :) I think meal-planning/grocery-shopping/dinner-cooking/dish-cleaning is the most overwhelming part of being a working mother! Which is why we eat out WAY more than we should!!