Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Target Bound

So today I thought I would venture out of my living room cave with a baby by myself. I needed to get some stuff at Target, and I have been procrastinating to do it. Well, today was the day I had to go, so I fed Haylie and bundled her up and off we went to Target. I was so nervous.

Now the four times we have used the carseat, she has fallen asleep. I figured full belly + car ride = naptime. Not so much. She was awake when we went into the store, although she did have her sleepy eyes on.

After shopping for maybe 7 minutes and me whispering over and over, "Please be good," she got a little tired of that and started to scream. Luckily I was getting the last of my items and off we went to checkout. Still screaming. At this point I am sweating a ton. Why couldn't she be asleep??

We escaped with only a few heated stares and made it home. THEN she fell right asleep. Man, no more public places for us for awhile. We might just stick to our living room cave a wee bit longer.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry, it gets easier. And every single mom in that store was on your side! :)

Kayla said...

Awww. You will quickly learn how to tune it out. I rarely hear arguing or the whiny "moooooom" and it's not because it doesn't happen!

Ryan and Katie said...

I'm proud of you for venturing out on your own already!

Chellie said...

i think i whisper the same thing to brixton every time we go out...

Candice said...

I remember those days. I think the stares of strangers are probably more of understanding than of annoyance. I used to think people we annoyed if Cole cried when he was a newborn, but when I hear a NB crying I may look, but it is just understanding and curiosity. I don't think the irritation of strangers comes until you have a toddler screaming and throwing himself all around and someone is like "can you control your kid?" (I haven't had it happen yet, but Cole is just approaching true toddlerhood and I am sure I will.