Monday, March 9, 2009

Frustrated...to say the least!

As many of you know, Justin and I have been trying to get pregnant for awhile now. As a result, we have gone to see a doctor in Missouri that is collegues with my father in law. He said he would be able to give us a complimentary visit and we were able to do that in November. Since that visit, they determined that I have a thyroid issue - it wasn't working very well and a side effect of this was supposedly infertility. I started taking medicine every day. They told me that I was going to have to take this for the rest of my life or else I would have other issues like hypothyroidism. So...when diagnosed with the thyroid issue, I had to go get my levels checked every few weeks. The first time they cut my thyroid medicine in half. I started to feel really poorly and was thinking that I needed to take more medicine. I go to get my levels checked about a week ago and this is what I found out.

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent and guilty.

Nurse Tulip: Your thyroid is too low and we can't supress it [what?? that doesn't make sense] so you need to stop taking your medicine completely [huh??] The doctor has suggested that you go for insemination because your odds for getting pregnant the old fashion way are pretty low. [SERIOUSLY? Isn't that a BIT extreme?]

So, I repeated it back to her to make sure I didn't misunderstand and she said that was exactly right!

Anyway, needless to say, I was pretty upset about this and of course, medical insurance does not cover insemination. Luckily, since my father in law is a collegue of this doctor and knows another nurse in that office pretty well, he went to talk to her a few days later. What blows my mind is what he found out! He was told something completely different! Luckily, he found out that the reason I needed to stop taking the medicine for my thyroid is because it started working again!! And, who knows why Nurse Tulip told me the only way I can get pregnant is through insemination because Nurse Buttercup said that is not true and my chances are just fine. I think this doctor needs to have a serious talk with Nurse Tulip.

So after all of this, my thoughts about Nurse Tulip are not very nice. We are going to get a second opinion here in OKC since this is all confusing and we have been told many different things.

I hope this baby thing is all it's cracked up to be. :)

8 comments:

Kayla said...

I just wanted to say I love you!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

That would be so frusterating! It sounds like Nurse Tulip needs some re-training! Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Ryan and Katie said...

I hope you were able to report the nurse to the doctor. So frusterating. We're praying for you and hope the second opinion isn't makes more sense than the last!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you guys do need a vacation! We'll be praying for you guys, and we know it'll all work out in the end. :)

Michelle said...

If you want the name of my cousins doc I can get for you, they tried for 4 years, and after going to see her it took 1 month. Let me know.

Brei said...

I'm sorry, I didn't realize all that was going on. We love you and know things will work out soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. What a mess! I was laughing reading your parenthetical responses to Nurse Tulip. You handled her much better than I would have!! At any rate, I know everything will all work out. Glad you can be off that medicine, too!

Anonymous said...

LOL you named her Tulip!!!!
:) Brooklyn