Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Journey of the Boil

I've mentioned Jace's red spot a few times on here, but have since gotten a little more information as to what the doctors we've seen have concluded.

This red mark started off as a pimple in January.  It started to get better and almost went away and then all of a sudden, it ballooned into a small, hard mountain. 


Concerned about my baby's face, I took him to see the pediatrician to which they told me it was a boil. We started giving Jace some oral antibiotics and also used a topical antibiotic on it.  The boil started shrinking and we were optimistic that this was the right course of action.  Then the medicine ran out and the boil was still very much on his face.  Trying not to be annoyed or even vain, we contacted the pediatrician to which we were told it would eventually go away.  We let it go for a few months, trying to just ignore it.  When we went into his well baby check up for 15 months, they mentioned it would take until the end of the summer to go away.  Yikes!

So, determined we could do something proactive for it, we got a referral for a dermatologist in the city.  Our appointment arrived and the dr told me it could either be an angioma or a pilomatricoma. Either one sounded horrible and nothing could be done.  We were told to wait another 6 months to see what would happen.

A few days ago, I noticed it had gotten a little more of a bump under his skin and changed to a darker red.  I called the dermatologist and was told it was then a pilomatricoma and she wanted to refer us to a pediatric plastic surgeon to cut it off.

I almost swallowed my tongue when she suggested this, thinking it was a little more extreme than I was hoping for and was thinking surely antibiotics would help??  She assured me they would just be a waste of time and money.

A few days ago, I took Jace back into the pediatrician for bronchitis and asked the dr's opinion on this matter since I really trust his medical advice.  He said it was a little more aggressive than he would have done, but he trusted the dermatologist and that the plastic surgeon was a really great one.

Well that's all nice and dandy, but my baby is only 1 and he already is needing to go to the plastic surgeon??!?!

So, Justin and I are at a loss. Do we just ignore the red spot and hope it goes away since it's not bothering him?  Do we leave it on his face for him to maybe have self-image issues?   I'm worried about it, I need to pray about it and I'm hoping that after a consult with the plastic surgeon, we will have a more definite course of action.

Any advice?  You can even tell me I'm being so stupid to worry about a red mark on my boy's face.  I won't be mad.

5 comments:

Tarren and Erin said...

I'm surprised the derm referred you to a plastic surgeon. I guess it is just to minimize scarring? My derm will remove stuff like this in the office under local anesthesia.

Ryan and Katie said...

Maybe the visit to the surgeon will help you decide or get a second derm opinion? I think hes adorable either way but i can understand wanting it off and dont think its vain if you decide to go through with it!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

You know what I think but I know it's bothering you...I am remembering some little ones that had something similar on their faces and now they are grown up and you can't even tell it was ever there. Can't remember specifics on what they did about it, tho. Ask me and I'll let you talk to them or their parents about it...

kayla said...

I don't think it's vain. It should be pretty easy. I would be concerned if it was something that would require general anesthesia and pain medicine afterward. However, I'm pretty sure that will just need a local numbing shot and Tylenol after.

Chellie said...

I support whatever you decide to do. I think that is a hard position to be in. Just so you know, I went to a plastic surgeon to have a spot removed from my face that my dermatologist wouldn't touch and it all went really well. I felt very weird sitting in that office but they were very nice and I'm glad I did it.