Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Medical Updates

Between Jace and I, we might have to start taking up donations to cover our co-pays for all of our doctor's visits.  It's almost a little ridiculous, but hey, at least we have really good insurance that only makes us pay a co-pay.

Anyway, an update on my foot.  I went to see the podiatrist last Friday.  I was a little annoyed because they asked if I had my x-rays with me...*pause*, why would I have them?  So it took another 45 minutes for them to get the radiologist report.  I finally get in to see the doctor, give him the background story, and he tells me I did a great job by putting my toe back into place.  I get to stop wearing the boot, but I still need to be wrapping my toe to my other two toes and wearing closed toed shoes to help keep it all together.  No exercising, no climbing ladders, keep it light and level.  I get to go back in about a month to do more X-rays to make sure my bone is healing correctly...which also means I get to take horse pills of Vitamin D+Calcium to help with the healing process.  All in all, I feel like I'm getting better and my walking is slowly improving where I'm not noticeably limping as much.

Today we went to see the plastic surgeon for Jace.  I was so anxious this morning just because I wasn't sure which direction the appointment could go.  Would we schedule a surgery?  Would he tell us nothing could be done?  Would Jace cooperate?  Thankfully we were at Children's at they had a great waiting room full of toys so my kids were super happy.

20 minutes later, we see the doctor and after hearing the background story and looking at Jace's cheek, he decides it could either be an infected pimple or a pilomatricoma, like the dermatologist said.  He basically gave us the option to do surgery or not, to keep exfoliating the skin to see if something changes, to give it time, basically whatever we wanted to do.  That was NOT the answer I was hoping for today.  I wanted to hear something concrete...but the fact that no one can really tell us for sure what it is we are dealing with is irritating to say the least.  The surgeon could put Jace under to find out its simply a pimple or he could find out its the actual pilomatricoma and get it off his face.  It's a toss up.

Since we are going on vacation soon, we've decided to give it at least until we get back to decide on any surgery options.  That might give us some time to make a discovery that it either is a pimple (to have a pimple since January would be so awful) or the pilo, since no one with a medical background can tell us. I've decided that I'm frustrated mostly with the dermatologist, who gave us 5 minutes and then passed us on.

I know this is simply a cosmetic thing we are dealing with and I am so thankful it's not something really serious.  So, I'm trying to keep it all in perspective!

4 comments:

Chellie said...

That is frustrating that there's no concrete answer.
Glad your toes is healing and you don't have to wear the boot.

Ryan and Katie said...

A 6 month infected pimple! Maybe if he goes through this now he will have clear skin through puberty. Hope over vacation your foot and his face magically heal!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Glad you are seeking professional opinions even if it's not the action/answer you were wanting...sometimes we get to learn lessons (patience?) whether we want to or not. :)

Victoria Bynum said...

Oh no! I'm glad you're toe is doing better! You need to be all set for the beach!