Monday, June 24, 2013

Going Old School

I'm not sure where the idea came from to make our own laundry soap, but I have been thinking about it for the last few weeks.  I've heard that it makes a ton, you use way less and is better for your clothes.  Since I haven't figured out a good soap:laundry ratio, I decided to give it a go.  My friend Maria sent this site to me and off I went to gather my ingredients.

At our local Wal-mart, they so sweetly had all the ingredients together in the laundry aisle. I appreciated this very much.  They had a different laundry bar soap, but I was searching for the pink Zote bar.  Apparently, this is located somewhere else in the aisle and I had a hard time finding it.  

The site acted like grating the soap would be a huge drag, but it honestly took me maybe 20 minutes for both bars.  It took a little bit of time, but went faster than I thought.


Then I poured the rest of the ingredients into a 5 gallon bucket...


And instead of layering like she suggested, I just threw it all in and used my hands to really mix it up.  My hands smell so clean now!  I loved putting the Purex Crystals in the mix since they smell SOOO good, but the color makes me think of cat liter.  Glad it's not the same.


I am so excited about this.  I put some in an old OxyClean bucket and can use the little scoop too for the perfect amount suggested.  The rest I'll just keep in the 5 gallon bucket that will hopefully last me for a looonnnngggg time.

We'll see how this goes.  I'm nervous we won't like it and I'll have so much extra, but if it doesn't work out, I know a few people who won't mind taking it off my hands!

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I hope it works! Sounds like a great experiment. I would love to know the cost per load!

Brooke said...

I use this exact recipe and I love it! I have made two batches now an it really does last for a long time. And smells sooo good!