Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It might be a long time before I cut fingernails again.

I just survived the most intense 20 minutes of my life.  It started when Jace just wasn't happy...and finally pooped his pants. We cleaned that up and since he needed a bath, it was a perfect time.  Get him to the tub and clean clothes on.  Check!  I decided then it was time to cut his fingernails.  Well, he is a squirmy baby and doesn't care for me to hold his hand tight to clip...so trying to get his thumb nail, I cut a chunk of his finger.  I knew as soon as I pressed down that it was no good.  He just screamed his little face off.  I'm desperately trying to get a tissue or something to stop the bleeding with his little arm flailing.  At the same time, Haylie decides she is uphappy too and starts crying...loudly.  This in turn doesn't help my patience or Jace's understanding of why he is feeling so much pain.  I get him to the kitchen and grab some band-aids along the way.  He is getting blood all over his sleeper and I'm trying not to freak out.  I finally clean him off and somehow get a band-aid on him. He is just crying and crying and so is Haylie.  I tell her to go in the other room to cry, which makes her cry harder and Jace is trying to find something to comfort him, a paci, a bottle, anything!

Thankfully, after my suggestion, Haylie goes to find her blankie which calms her down.  I am calming myself down since I'm not even sure what just happened, I just know my stomach is in knots and I want to scream.

And since he finally got his paci, the baby is blissfully asleep - with his new accessory. 




2 comments:

Chellie said...

Ahh...that hurts my thumb and heart. Hope you are OK.

Kristen said...

Oh Erin... I'm so sorry! I did the SAME thing to Olivia when she was a month old. I never used finger nail clippers again until about last summer! Now Hannah's a nail biter- but at least they still have finger tips left right?? :)