Tuesday, October 11, 2011

That's Right.

So I hope everyone knows how much I love my Haylie...even though last night at a girls night (Mothers & Marriage's) I called her a monster in front of everyone.  Yes, that's how I felt yesterday, and the day before, and possibly the one before that.  Today, I am renewed.

We are obviously going through a power struggle between the almost 2 year old and Mommy.  It's evident in the way she acts, tests me, pushes through boundaries and is basically the sassiest of the sassy.

Last night at M&M's, I was reminded of this key Bible verse.  "Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do."  Ephesians 6:1 (NLT)

Yes, my sweet girl, it's the right thing to do.  It was such a perfect M&M Moment to have.  Hearing of others struggles with children obeying and being defiant...and it's only going to get worse if I don't act now.  I have to shape her up today...or else in 14-16 years I am really going to be kicking myself.

I can do this thing called discipline. I can be consistent, persistent and give out a spanking or three (get over it DHS, I'm not beating my child).  She needs to learn that Mommy (and Daddy) is (are) the boss and boundaries are set.

Thanks for the encouragement last night, ladies of M&M's.  It was SUCH a blessing and so inspirational to me at this point of my life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I'm so there with you. Lily wasn't too bad at age 2, but 3 is my proving grounds. But here's the GREAT news. I have already seen the fruits of my labor, and SERIOUSLY, the harder you work now, the more spankings you give out (even when you really don't want to) and the more times you follow through with discipline, the better it will get. And the sooner you'll be able to relax a little bit. It's so HARD, but most kids who turned out good had a Mean Mom. :)

Darla said...

A word of wisdom that I was given when in your "chapter of life" - It is better to be firm at the beginning and lighten up as you go than to be lenient in the beginnig and try to toughen up later - that doesn't work! You are doing a great job!Don't second guess yourself...