Tuesday, May 21, 2013

It just keeps raining

Today I had the opportunity to go down to Moore, Oklahoma where yesterday it was hit by an F5 tornado.  We live about 25 miles north of the community and were fortunate to not be hit. The devastation that you see on TV is heart-wrenching and you just feel so helpless, even if you go and help with some sort of disaster relief.  Since my kids had their last day of Sonshine School today, I met up with my dad and brother-in-law down in Moore to help, to just DO something.

On my way down I-35, I suddenly came to a halt with all the traffic - I was behind a fleet of porta potties. I was trying to get to any open exit and finally did.  I met my dad and BIL at the Fresh Start Community Church.


Once I joined up with them, we grabbed trash bags and started picking up debris. I saw shingles, baby diapers, half pieces of photos, yearbook photos, doll clothing, pieces of business cards, magazines, greeting cards, insulation, wood splinters, sun glasses...you name it, we probably saw a piece of it along the road and grass.  And that's the hard part - everything is in tiny pieces.  People's lives are in tiny, tiny pieces. And we weren't even at the hardest hit area.


We filled up about two trash bags between the three of us before another huge storm started rolling in. This whole week has a prediction of more storms...likely strong and/or severe.  This picture below is the Moore water tower with the big storm clouds rolling in and then going north back on I-35.


All I want to do is watch TV to see updated news and stories of the people who survived this.  I want to go down and help for longer than I did.  I feel kind of stuck with having to continue normal life with my wonderful family when so many people are suffering.

If you would like to help out in ANY way, you can go HERE and see what our church is collecting and doing.  You can also donate there if you are out of town.  If you need a more detailed list of things to donate, just leave me a comment and I'll get you one.

Prayers for this whole community are much appreciated.  I know there are lots of questions with no answers, people are searching for loved ones and exhaustion is taking over everyone who is down there working.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Erin, glad you got to come! It's amazing to me that we were picking up peoples' lives that were chopped up in little pieces and tossed up into the air. Love, Dad

Wa Wa Waughs said...

That is awesome! I know what you mean about the survivor's guilt. Love you!